“Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.” - Unknown

Monday, June 09, 2008

holy hell!

now... i know that seems like i just cursed... but believe me, that is where i am right now. and the only thing between me and what can only be described as such, is a thin piece of cheap glass. when i think of hell, i imagine sweating bullets right through your clothes, wanting to pass out, feeling like your skin is going to burn and peel right off your bones... well, my friends... welcome to northern virginia. :) who knew i moved to the core of the earth? i'd have understood why my moving truck took two weeks, if i'd known it was THAT kind of a move. but seriously people, i'm completely unprepared for this. i'm practically hiding in my apartment. listening to my over-worked air conditioner work his little guts out to keep me from complete suffocation. i actually opened my door to the outside today and gasped. like, gasping for air at first and then gasping because i can't believe it's only JUNE!! 102 degrees... 60% humidity. i live in the amazon rainforest!

in other news, we're having fun here. :) really. honestly. despite the heat (heat = major understatement) we're almost unpacked and starting to feel a little more settled. oh! and p.s. i thought packing was the worst. it turns out, that UNpacking is actually the worst. but our place is looking cute, even if the tv and the couch don't line up perfectly (sorry burton) and everything that should be in a storage room is stacked in the corner of our "2nd bedroom". and despite the fact that we were completely spoiled in our last apartment, we'll be just fine in this place.

now, if i can just leave my apartment without an oxygen mask, i could get some good blog material. oh! speaking of leaving my apartment. burton and i locked ourselves out of our apartment the other night (apprently, automatic locks on the front door are not idiot proof). AND, you want to guess how we got back in? not the maintenance guy, 'cause apparently they don't offer that service. not a spare key. not a locksmith. nope... it was a bunch of thugs with a credit card. :) so, i told burton that i think we need to make friends with said "thugs", so instead of being slightly worried now, i can feel safe that they're watching our back or something. you know... like they're with their other thug buddies who are about to break in to our apartment and they stop them and say "hey! these are good people. move on." you know... whatever thugs say to each other when they're protecting their "good people" friends. :) .... what....?

oh... and the deadbolt is permanently locked now. so, don't get any ideas all you thugs out there who read my blog.

i'm pretty sure "thug" is a word that old people use... but it's kinda funny... unless you ARE a thug, then maybe it's offensive. i'll ask my new thug friends and let you know.

Labels: , , ,

19 Comments:

Blogger Suman Family said...

haha! thug. nice repeating of that word. love it. sorry that it's hell there. is that unusual? i can't believe it's that hot in june. seems strange. good luck with the unpacking. take some pics.

June 09, 2008 7:04 PM

 
Blogger Jackie said...

Oh humid summers... we hardly knew ye. You're kinda scaring me, but I guess if I grew up with humidity I should be able to do it again. Right? RIGHT??

I think it's a good policy to always stay on the good side of thugs. Keep it up!

June 09, 2008 8:03 PM

 
Blogger Mrs. Dub said...

i must be a thug because i can do great things with a credit card (inside doors and shopping centers).

humidity sucks. period.

June 09, 2008 9:29 PM

 
Blogger heather said...

So, I can't say that's it's reached 100 degrees here yet, but 95 with 70% humidity gives me a glimpse into what you are feeling! Isn't it awful?! I hate sticky, and it's definitely not supposed to be sticky in June! What's July and August going to be like?! We can grieve together ...

June 10, 2008 11:50 AM

 
Blogger heather said...

ps - I'm glad you guys are getting settled. :)

June 10, 2008 11:51 AM

 
Blogger Tiffany said...

Just know that humidity makes for perfect swimming weather! You'll never squirm at the thought (or the action of)jumping into a cool pool of water again. And if you get any big summer thunderstorms, they're amazing!

P.S. Thug= breaking into apartments with credit cards? Consider me as a thug...I am a pro at doing that. (To my own apartment of course!!)

June 10, 2008 12:25 PM

 
Blogger Veeda said...

Seriously, it is like hell out here. I've never been so hot (although my skin is really digging the moisture).

June 10, 2008 12:39 PM

 
Blogger Mike and Nicole said...

Haha, oh humidity. You gotta love the code red air warnings you hear on tv, "don't go outside, the humidity WILL kill you."

June 10, 2008 2:17 PM

 
Blogger Skyler said...

You don't even want to know the "thug" things I can do/have done. I'm amazing. If only my neighbors knew!

June 11, 2008 1:32 PM

 
Blogger Taylor said...

Gotta love the humid east coast, right? Jack and I stepped on the back porch to see if we could stand a walk to the library and we walked right back inside. I am anxiously awaiting fall.
p.s. Loved the "holy hell" entry, you never cease to crack me up.

June 11, 2008 4:21 PM

 
Blogger Kadi said...

Janaya, please come visit me...the headlines in the Seattle Times today were, "Colder than Siberia"...yes, Seattle was colder than Siberia yesterday. I am miserable, as you, only the opposite is happening. Let's switch for a bit and then maybe we'll like the weather when we get back?
I'm glad you finally have your stuff and are settling in. I love to unpack, I should come help you. Do make friends with the thugs...they're probably more fun than most of us...maybe...

June 11, 2008 5:25 PM

 
Blogger Lizzie said...

So i grew up in New Mexico, right? 8% humidity makes things feel hot 'n clammy there. So when we moved to Northern VA years ago, in the middle of August, i nearly died. My mom would not leave the house except in an air-conditioned vehicle. And we kids were supposed to entertain ourselves outside during the summer. It sucked bad.

June 11, 2008 10:41 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm glad somewhere in the world is getting the affects of Global warming. I just spent the night in 22 degrees and a blizzard, ruining our "Summer" Girls camp. I'd take Humidity over snow in June.
-Candice

June 12, 2008 2:28 PM

 
Blogger jaredandmatisse said...

Ke he he! I know what you mean. I teach ballet in a studio where there is no air conditioning and I am in constant fear that one of my students will get heat stroke. They always get heat rash and I know I am just one step away myself. It gets so hot in ct! I can't imagine what you must be going through. Just enjoy the fact that your bones are thawing from a long winter.

June 13, 2008 1:12 AM

 
Blogger Kate said...

I guess I shouldn't complain about the cold weather in Utah... why can't the weather balance itself out throughout the country??? Sounds like an adventure.

June 16, 2008 12:53 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sooo glad someone else has thug neighbors. We moved across the street from a (this is a direct quote) "gang member, but I'm trying to get out. I even did a bit of time at the DT." (That is the juvie detention center just down the street. Sweet!! And we did the same thing. Been wondering though, do you bake cookies and send them to thugs and almost ex gang members?

June 16, 2008 1:45 PM

 
Blogger Heather Thompson said...

Hey Janaya,
I was at my sisters today and Summer was there and asked if I knew you guys and told me you had a blog, so I thought I'd look it up... Hope you guys are doing well! I'm glad you have a blog, now we can keep in touch better!
Heather

June 17, 2008 5:40 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! When can I come visit? Just kidding. From the sounds of it, I would rather die. Humidity, heat and THUGS. They really were the ones to let you into your apartment?

And now for a much too late response to your comment that you left on my blog... (better late than never)...

I totally think that if internet relationships weren't a little bit strange we would be BFFLOL! (think 3rd grade...Best Friends For Life or Longer). Or at least BFF. But at least with technology, I have been able to find someone who uses sarcasm as readily as I do. So Janaya, I deem you my CBFF (cyber bff). ARe you teary?

ANd sometimes a "holy hell!" is totally the only thing to say.

June 17, 2008 5:42 PM

 
Blogger erin said...

you are hilarious. I'm glad you made it safe, I'm sorry you are melting in hell. :) I can't wait to see new pix of the place.

June 17, 2008 10:14 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home