“Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.” - Unknown

Thursday, April 10, 2008

for the love of a hot dog

today, while standing in line at j-dawg's for lunch, i turned to burton and said "i should blog about this" ... i haven't blogged for THREE WEEKS... and THIS is the first idea that has come to my mind? j-dawg's? but what made me think it was blogworthy was burton's utter and total frustration with the situation. first of all, i must state that a j-dawg's polish dog is basically... well... amazing. but their set up could make the most patient person go a little crazy. see... there's two lines. the "order here" line... and then the "pick up here" line. the problem is, both of them are usually painstakingly long. so after about 15 minutes in the first line, we ordered our 2 polish dawgs and 2 sodas, and then had to move to the other line to wait for another 15 minutes to pick up the dawgs... at which point burton exclaimed "i can't believe we're going to wait 30 minutes for a HOT DOG!" (but babe... this isn't just ANY hot dog... you know better than that). though, it was cold and it did start to rain. but for some reason, there we all stood. construction workers, college students, and business men alike. all there for the mouthwatering "special sauce". so anyway, i'm not sure if this is turning out to be a positive or negative review... but whatever the case, trust me that standing in the freezing cold rain for 30 minutes outside this silly little hut is totally worth it.

tip: don't get your drink between lines... cup full of ice cold diet pepsi = cold hands.

Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Dub said...

I feel like there is a division in Provo life that is drawn with J-Dawg's. I lived pre-Dawg. It was an innocent, but flavorless existence.

April 10, 2008 7:46 AM

 
Blogger Morgan said...

i do love a good j dawg, but agree that it is not a very efficient system.

April 10, 2008 12:17 PM

 
Blogger Skyler said...

I must have just missed you. I stood in those same lines today at about 11:45. J-Dawg's is all about timing -- you go at the right time (before the fire fighters and cops) and you'll usually be OK. Either way though, those babies are incredible. Everything but kraut.

April 11, 2008 1:39 AM

 
Blogger Melinda Jones said...

Ah, the J-Dawg, a Provo treasure that is greatly missed in Connecticut...p.s., can't wait to see you in a week!

April 11, 2008 2:40 PM

 
Blogger jenhatch said...

I've wondered where you've been. Glad you're back to posting. And glad you have the same pj problem I do!

K, this j-dawg's must not have been there when I lived there. Sounds like I need to go there the next time I'm in town... whenever that may be!

And in my humble major Food Connoisseur opinion, 30 minutes is NOTHING when you're waiting for some good food!

April 12, 2008 8:41 PM

 
Blogger joshandemily said...

J-Dawgs is one of the main reasons Josh wants to move back to Provo! What's in that secret sauce anyway??

April 16, 2008 11:39 AM

 
Blogger Kate said...

I need your email to add to my list... please email me at katestreer@gmail.com - I am not a big hot dog fan.. but next time i'm in provo we will have to try it...

April 16, 2008 5:56 PM

 
Blogger FOX said...

Hi Janaya, I came to check out your blog. :) Totally cute!

Tracey's cousin! Holy cow! You are right, the world is sooooo small when you are a Mormon.

Emily (acte gratuit) is actually the one who got me into blogging. I am pretty sure she has the entire dictionary memorized, which just makes her writing so funny.

Hey! Are you in Provo? I think I just ate at J-Dwag's, only I didn't know it was famous until your blog. Is it over near the Y?

April 24, 2008 5:23 AM

 
Blogger janaya said...

yep. it's near the Y (south east side). there are many reasons i will miss provo (which surprises me) when i move out east in a month, and jdawg's is definitely on the list. :)

April 24, 2008 11:15 AM

 
Blogger FOX said...

OK! That is where Brandon and I were then. Although there was no line (however it did take about 15 minutes to be handed the "dog."

I am at the Y everyday and we live a few miles away in Springville. It is really funny but whenever I visit places I used to live, I find that there are certain places I just have to eat out, completely out of nostalgia.

Good luck on your move.

April 24, 2008 11:44 AM

 
Blogger Wonderland Girl said...

Janaya,
First of all, what in the world were you doing 35 miles from Vernal?? And second, don't you EVER come that close again without coming to visit. :)
We even have a guest bedroom. :)

April 28, 2008 10:52 AM

 
Blogger Greg and Abbey said...

i TOTALLY AGREE! i really love those "dogs" with the special sauce and relish! but anytime i think of venturing there, i think about how rediculously long the line is. of corse, if i ever drive by it when i'm NOT hungry, there's like 2 people in line!

May 04, 2008 12:15 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home