“Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.” - Unknown

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

non-smoking, please

so... burton and i went out to dinner the other night to celebrate his completion of the GRE! and when we got there, there was a huge line (of course) and so we decided just to sit in the bar 'cause you don't have to wait, you just take a table.

so...

in utah, there's no smoking in restaurants, period. i think that's the same in a lot of places. but in virginia, apparently there is no such law yet. though it did seem to be confined to the bar section. ANYWAY, as much as it urkes to me that it's not totally and completely illegal to smoke next to me, i recognize that i chose to sit in that section and so there is something i can do to control the situation... but because of my lack of exposure to smoking in public places in recent years, i've had very little exposure to something else that surprisingly made me want to get up out of my chair and smack two full-grown adults... one of which could have easily beaten up burton (who is, of course, my bodyguard)... they were BOTH smoking, with their little girl sitting at the table with them. is it just me, or should they be locked away?!

i was SOOO close to saying something. i mean seriously... kill yourself. smoke away to your hearts content in the privacy of your own home. marry someone who smokes too and kill each other. i don't care. but bring a child into this world and into a home full of cigarette smoke and you might as well say "happy early birthday sally! a nice little present called lung cancer will be on its way in 40 years!"

i imagined that if i did actually say something that it would end up with a response something to the effect of "none of your effing business!" ... so that's the part that prevented me from speaking up. that and they were speaking icelandic or something. but i was surprisingly pissed off. i couldn't stop commenting to burton (in that "i'm a chicken, so i'll say it loud enough to make myself feel good but quiet enough that they probably won't hear me" voice) that i was sort of shocked how mad i was getting. fuming!

but i didn't say anything. we just finished our food and eventually left. sooo... would you have said something? am i being too judgemental for wanting to say something in the first place? have i just been in utah toooooo long? :)

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Nakita Ellis said...

I definitely DON'T think you were being too judgmental! Anyone who feels it is ok to subject a kid to a carcinogenic agent or anything else harmful DISGUSTS me. Another HORRIBLE thing that KILLS me is when I see mom's holding their babies in the front seat of a moving vehicle, or a bunch of kids in the back of a car bouncing around without seat belts. Hello, one small hit or slamming on your breaks and those kids are gonna get hurt! Come on People!! If you are going to have a kid, recognize that you are responsible to keep them as safe and healthy as you can. I could go on and on so I'll stop, but don't feel one bit judgmental, your just a person with a brain :)

June 18, 2008 4:45 PM

 
Blogger jenhatch said...

nope, that's completely disgusting! And to bring a child into your filthiness... TERRIBLE parenting or just humanity.

Something like that happened to me, but homegirl was PREGNANT!!! I was so ticked off, FUMING mad... and just so disgusted that anyone could have such extreme lack of sensibility to NOT smoke when they were pregnant. I wanted to say something but her white trash boyfriend with tattoos covering his body, while in to get my oil change - didn't scream safe place to confront someone like this. Though, when I walked out passing her puffing it up, I said, "you really shouldn't do that being pregnant and all". I'm SURE she didn't hear me... because if so I'm sure Rosco would have decked me. I felt TERRIBLE for WEEKS not saying anyting.

June 19, 2008 3:05 PM

 
Blogger The Richardsons said...

I've seen worse. Way worse. Like the day I was in the NICU with Gavin and they wheeled a brand-spankin' new baby into the unit, his mom trailing behind in her wheelchair. A few minutes I was on my way out and there she was, smokin away after only having given birth 30 minutes before! And-you guessed it- he was born way early from complications due to her smoking!!!! I wanted to KILL her! My baby didn't have a choice about being early, and she CAUSED it! Can you tell I'm still mad...?

June 20, 2008 12:30 AM

 
Blogger Mike and Nicole said...

Things like that definitely are infuriating. Mike and I passed a truck one day while we were driving. In between two smoking parents were two little kids and they had the windows up. Not that smoking with windows rolled down helps, it is crazy that they didn't care what they were doing to their tiny kids. It should be illegal.

June 20, 2008 1:18 PM

 
Blogger Taylor said...

So gross, so thoughtless, so selfish, so sad. I remember tracting into a home on my mission that reeked of smoke, a little girl answered the door and behind her was her father (or so I thought) just puffing away as she came to the door. Isn't it crazy what some people think is appropriate? I could not agree with you more.

June 23, 2008 11:33 PM

 
Blogger rachel demartin said...

was the fuming part a pun? go to spain--i've lost my "ball's" as it were janaya, i used to be retarded enough to say some things but the older i get the less i say...and you know if people don't want to hear it, it really is not going to help. usually it does the opposite. i think you know that intuitively. i think you rooting for the "underdogs", the "victims", or the children in this place is obviously right, how you go about effectively rooting is beyond me.

June 26, 2008 12:07 AM

 
Blogger Kam Belly Soup said...

dude, i dont have any cool stories like your other comments. all i have to say is smelling smoke while your eating is the worst thing in the world. if i was paying for that food i would have wanted to take it to go. come on VA get with the no smoking program.

June 27, 2008 2:36 AM

 
Blogger emilie s. d. p. said...

People can be SO terrible! I don't think I would have said anything either, sometimes you just have to sit back and let people do what they want--even if it's something as terrible as this. Mainly I don't think it's worth picking a fight because in the end you'll probably end up looking like a fool too... but I am always tempted to leave them a little note on my way out. Something short and sweet:o)...then by the time they read it you're out the door and on your way!

June 29, 2008 6:10 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home