“Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.” - Unknown

Monday, October 01, 2007

freshman sentiments

maybe it's because it's been 10 years since my freshman year in college, and i'm feeling sentimental. maybe it's because burton is almost finished with school (7 months and counting) and we'll actually be leaving the college town bubble i've become so accustomed to living in over the past decade. maybe it's because i'm realizing so many friends are now gone or are on their way out. or maybe it's just because i have the greatest friends EVER! but whatever the case, i'm missing my friends.

i spent some of the day reading through old journals. i started writing in a journal in 9th grade. i was an avid journal writer all through highschool and college, and even a couple years after college. i've sort of sucked at it lately, but over the years i've accumulated 15 volumes of my journal. they range from incredibly embarrasing confessions of love for multiple boys to incredibly embarrasing confessions of love for the man i finally married. they contain detailed play-by-plays of roommate brawls and mushy play-by-plays of how so-and-so held my hand and then we slid closer on the couch and badda-bing badda-bang and then we kissed! so embarrasing.

but what it also contains is evidence of great friends. evidence of the amazing influence a handful of people have had on my life. total strangers who entered my life and soon became my best friends in the whole world.

the girls: we fought over boys, fought over clothes, fought over food and chores. we had food fights, water fights, screaming-crying-want-to-punch-her-in-the-face fights. but we laughed harder than i think i've ever laughed in my whole life. we had pillow talk. we compared cup sizes. we etched the initials of boys we'd kissed into the bunkbeds. we skipped school and stayed in our pajamas all day and watched 90210 reruns while eating pasta roni straight from the pot. we ate no-bake cookies 'til we could hardly walk anymore. we threw dance parties and got in trouble. we had breakfast parties and invited only boys -- like 40 of them. we locked all our doors, dressed up like hula dancers and danced on our coffee table to butt-rock classics. we went an entire month bumming toilet paper off other people, just to see if we could go a month without having to buy it. i love my girls.

the boys: my best "guy" friends were established pretty early and they remained my best guy friends throughout. we were total idiots together. we laughed a lot. we watched a lot of stupid movies. we said really dumb stuff all the time. they wrestled in my house. they ate our food. they drove us to the store. they took us out. they were always ready to give a priesthood blessing. they could be total dorks and make us laugh and didn't have to be "cool". they cared about us and could see us without our make-up on and they still thought we were great. i love my boys.

so anyway... it's really been 10 years. TEN years. i miss you all. i'm so glad you are all my friends and i'm so glad you're all happy! love you all dear friends! thanks for the fun times. ;)

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

I agree... friends are the best... and those college years were the best.. I have the most amazing memories of Provo and Salt Lake (going to the U) when I get down- I close my eyes and imagine I am back in those days... what great memories!

October 02, 2007 1:43 AM

 
Blogger Mrs. Dub said...

college is the best. and i'm glad my boy was on of your boys.

(and just so we can feel like friends - i'm a pathetic B cup these days. breastfeeding!)

October 02, 2007 12:20 PM

 
Blogger janaya said...

mrs. dub: hahaha. awesome. i've always been a pathetic B cup, so i'm not sure what i have to look forward to after breastfeeding! crap!

and comparing cup sizes in college was more along the lines of "i'll show you mine, if you show me yours"... us wee ones had no concept of big ones, and those with big ones just needed a good laugh. :)

thanks for sharing. we are officially bosom buddies. (in the words of, well... you... "pun sadly intended").

October 02, 2007 12:26 PM

 
Blogger Kate said...

You are such a wise woman (the comments on Mrs. Dub- always and your insights) Would you like to be my children's mother? I keep thinking I need to call you... I will- at some unexpected moment... I will! (I just know I need at least an hour...he he!)

October 02, 2007 5:08 PM

 
Blogger janaya said...

katie: yes! please do! i've decided that i need to put all the people's numbers i've been meaning to call in to my cell phone, because it always seems i think about it when i'm driving... and then i don't have anyone's number. anyway, i'll be excited to see a random number show up on my caller ID. :) do you live in SLC? or UT county?

October 02, 2007 5:21 PM

 
Blogger em said...

hey! it's been way too long, and here you are posting about sentimental times. i miss those good ole provo days, and especially my provo friends.

one of these days, we really do need to catch up!

October 02, 2007 10:54 PM

 
Blogger Ashby said...

I get so nostalgic thinking about my freshman year at BYU. I loved it! And why is it that we never met 10 years ago when we were there together? I don't get it!

October 04, 2007 5:17 PM

 
Blogger Kate said...

I live in SL county (Holladay) to be exact... and yes- I need to put your number on my cell... actually I have a minute- you might get a call!

October 05, 2007 5:24 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home