“Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.” - Unknown

Monday, December 04, 2006

almost 30 and shrinking fast!

been awhile since i've written anything... lots going on. thanksgiving--which consisted of five days of eating, watching way too many movies, watching way too much football, and doing way too much sitting around for the amount of food being consumed. we then watched two cute little boys (see monkey and chicken below) while their parents partied it up in hawaii (welcome home guys). we went to park city for my company christmas party where they put us all up in this sweet hotel for the evening and let us spend the following day shopping at the outlet stores (pre-holiday shopping that you justify by saying "ok, this one will be for christmas... and this one too... and this..."). then we went straight from park city to another christmas party where we ate amazing fudge and fondue and rice krispie covered marshmallows and more fudge and more fondue... i love christmas. please note that both of these christmas parties occured before the month of december even started. anyway, it's been a busy couple of weeks.

it's my birthday on friday... 28. i'm still deciding how i feel about it. it's not like turning 23... 'cause 23 was cool (that may seem random, but i've had this discussion with many friends and that seems to be the pinnacle of existence). but this is almost 30. not that almost 30 isn't cool... or over 30 for that matter. it's just hard to believe that's me. i'm older than my mom was when i was born. oh well, i guess most of my friends are right there with me... some who have paved the way and others who are soon to follow (fyi... i'll be almost 34 before burton even leaves his 20s). sweet.

well, it's almost 9:30 PM... time for my glass of warm milk and then off to bed for my old bones. i freaking asked for slippers for my birthday... although, i also asked for "trivial pursuit 80s edition"... which only makes me feel old when i'm with my husband.

OH!... i almost forgot to share the funniest discovery in a really long time. if going through a quarter life crisis wasn't enough (come on... i could live to be 112... it'll be 2090 when that roles around... i guarantee they'll have figured something out by then to keep my little heart pumping passed 100), i went to the doctor a couple weeks ago for a basic checkup, 'cause i haven't been to a family doctor in like 15 years (no joke). so... somewhere along the line in my adult life someone pulled out a tape measure and said "hey, let's measure everyone's height" and somehow that tape measure was incredibly... well... WRONG. literally for the last at least 8 or 9 years i have been under the impression that I am 5 ft. 6.5 inches tall. and because no one really likes saying the half inches and everyone secretly wants to be a little taller than they are (unless they're already crazy tall) i would round up to 5'7". so needless to say, i was a little shocked... kind of like i had been kicked in the gut... when the nurse stood me up to the measuring instrument and proclaimed for all to hear "5 feet 4.5 inches". WHAT?!?! I said "ummm... i think that's wrong!" so she said "ok... we can do it again" and we went through the same ordeal. aware of my obvious concern she pronounced the results a little quieter this time, "well... it's still 5 feet 4.5 inches". a whole 2 inches shorter!... 2.5 inches shorter than i have quite proudly stated to government agencies over the years... like the department of motor vehicles, who so trustingly put 5' 7" on my drivers license. i will admit i had a bit of an identity crisis over the whole ordeal. you know, i blame this mishap on my canadian education... it's the silly centimeters vs. inches dilemma... my canadian drivers license says 165 cm. come on... how the crap am i supposed to know that converts to 5 feet 4.5 inches?! no one taught me these things! i suppose it's totally possible that i've shrunk in my old age... it happens you know! anyway, i guarantee i will be rounding up FOR SURE now. 5' 5"... so lame.

Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just to confuse things more... I just used Google to see what 166cm is (Google works as a calculator if you didn't know) and it says you are 65.35 inches, which if my math is correct, says that you are 5' 5.34". So Canada got it wrong too (does this suprise us?? I keeed I keeed), or you are continually shrinking ;)

December 05, 2006 9:52 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jay, I would KILL, ok, not really, but still. Umm, you are complaining about being 5.5? If the Canadian system is so flawed, then I am two inches shorter, which officially leaves me below the 5 ft mark. I would be a dwarf!!!! ARRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

December 05, 2006 11:02 AM

 
Blogger janaya said...

ok aaron, now you've really convinced me that i don't know my stuff. i checked my canadian DL again and it actually says 165 cm (it was late... i misread)... so i tried to figure out the conversion but i couldn't for the life of me figure out how to convert 64.9 inches into feet... i know it's 5.408 feet, but how the crap do i convert .408 into inches?! i'm seriously pissed about my education right now. 12 years pre-college and 5 in college and i can't figure that out. what a joke.

(sorry em... you're not a dwarf... but you are canadian so you may want to look in to brushing up on you conversions because apparently we got screwed!)

December 05, 2006 11:50 AM

 
Blogger janaya said...

and what does "i keeed i keeed" mean?

December 05, 2006 11:53 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

64.9 inches would be 5 foot (60 inches) 4.9 inches. You can't combine the 10 base system (10ths) with the foot system (12ths). Wow... that makes me sound geeky.

As for the "keeed"... it was like "I kid" (I'm kidding) but drawn out.

So now I'm a geek that can't tell a joke very well... yeah that sounds about right.

December 05, 2006 1:04 PM

 
Blogger whitney said...

Well, that means you're shorter than me now. :) Weird, you seem taller than me. Maybe it's because you love platform shoes so much. 165 cm equals 5 feet 4.9 inches, so maybe you've shrunk .4 inches since you're Canadian days. It makes me wonder how tall I really am.

December 05, 2006 1:14 PM

 
Blogger Cormorant said...

The other day Jeff had his height measured. (He always swore he was 6'.) It came up at 6'1.5" and he was sooo surprised. I told him he could totally round up to 6'2" but he refuses. He now just says he's barely over 6'. What guy treats their height that way?

I'm also reminded of my volleyball days. You know, they post all the players' heights to show how intimidating their team is. Well, I am barely over 5'8.5", which is fairly tall, but I was baffled when they listed me at 5'11"! That's like WAY off! And I felt really weird...like I had turned into something really big.

December 06, 2006 7:20 PM

 
Blogger janaya said...

seriously... why does height seem to define us in this society!? people think weight's a big deal, but more people probably lie about their height than their weight. tall people feel like giants, short people feel like midgets (nothing against giants and midgets, of course).

bec... if you're 5'11" and I'm 5'4.5" that means you'd be 6.5 inches taller than me. haha. that's awesome. i can just tell people i'm 5'7" when i play volleyball.

you know, this little blog has put a few people into a tailspin wondering how tall they REALLY are. maybe we should have a party and measure everyone... lay it all out on the table!

December 06, 2006 7:46 PM

 
Blogger Higa said...

J, your education has not failed you. Some people are just not mathmaticians. I was never and probably will never be good at math and I'm okay with it. My name is alisha and I'm bad at math.. Okay, who's next??
As for the 28 and almost thirty thing... I will let you know in a few days.

December 11, 2006 9:19 PM

 
Blogger Saif said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

October 20, 2007 2:36 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was serching for the source of the quote-'life is not measured...' which made me land up on your page.
with all the gifted ways of expressing yourself tht you posses, I believe you should take your writing some more seriously and take it a step beyond the blogspot...
:)

October 20, 2007 2:41 AM

 
Blogger janaya said...

saif: thank you. you're very kind. :)

October 20, 2007 2:42 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home