“Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.” - Unknown

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

here's george jetson

modern technology is wonderful! there's something about working in bed, still in my pajamas, with the lights off, laptop on my lap and cell phone at my side that i love. with the exception of actually sitting up and moving my fingers, i'm practically still asleep. i'm being productive, yet i still get the strange sense that i've been able to sleep in. truth is, i did sleep in a little... hence the justification to work in bed. can't sacrifice the time it takes to get ready when there's work to be done!

and then there's IM (instant messenger for the layman). i have well over a hundred people on my IM list, consisting of old friends, new friends, current coworkers, past coworkers, friend's parents, my parents, siblings, in-laws, cousins, cousin in-laws... there's even people i don't really like and some i barely know. but once they're on my IM list, I just can't remove them. i have a bit of an obsession with hooking people up... not like "dating hook up" but just hooking people up with people that can help them with things they need or want. if you know me, you've probably heard me say things like "oh... i know this guy who could probably get you that for a good deal" or "oh... you should talk to this person, they can probably help you with that". and so, my IM list... it's like my personal little yellow pages. it's also an amazing way to stay in touch with old friends. my favorite is when someone pops online that i haven't talked to in months. "HOLY CRAP! Is that you?"


IM has also become my primary mode of communication lately because of work. i now work for an ad agency where everyone works remotely from home offices. this means that i can probably bet i'm one of at least a handful of my coworkers who are also working in their pajamas this morning. it sounds like it would be really lonely to work from home, but i am constantly communicating with people. yesterday, as a matter of fact, i spent 5 solid hours on the phone with my coworkers (thank goodness for speaker phone... another great modern technology). anyway, modern technology is great. someday though, life will be even better and i'll be able to wake up like george jetson... a machine will pick me out of bed, wake me up, clean me up, dress me, feed me breakfast and send me off to the world. i can't wait.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Higa said...

one question: am I one of those people on your IM list that you don't like?? I'd like to know now so I stop IMing you the message "holy crap! Is that you?"

November 22, 2006 10:38 PM

 
Blogger unclespeedo said...

just be glad as a woman the whole laptop thing won't affect your fertility ;)

im with you on the whole modern technology thing, more of my awake time is spent in front of my laptop than anything else...

November 23, 2006 2:37 AM

 
Blogger janaya said...

fertility!? how does it affect your fertility? should i be talking to my husband about this?

November 23, 2006 12:58 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home