“Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.” - Unknown

Friday, October 20, 2006

alone time

so, here's the rule: when your husband goes away hunting for the weekend and you stay home, this is what you do...

the moment you drop him off, go to macy's and spend $90 at the Clinique counter, then go through the burger king drive-through and "make it a LARGE please", then be sure to go to the video store and rent three chic flicks you know you'll never get to watch any other way, and on your way home make sure you drop by the grocery store and buy a tub of "Moose Tracks" ice-cream... small enough that there's no chance of any evidence still being around when he gets home, and don't forget to buy an extra SKOR bar just in case there's not enough of it in the actual ice-cream. And of course, when you get home, dead bolt the door behind you so no creepy men can get into your apartment while your eyes are closed as you wash your face (i'm sure it happens all the time). Then... be sure to schedule a day at the spa doing your nails and toes and face and whatever else sounds really fun to do with an old college roommate and then make reservations for the two of you to go eat lunch at CPK so you can sit around and talk about totally meaningless, random things that you would only talk about with your closest friends. and then settle in for an evening curled up on the couch with your ice-cream and movies. and be sure to eat the ice-cream straight from the tub... that's very important. this is not one of those "feel sorry for yourself because you don't have a boyfriend and you don't have a date on a friday night" kind of moments you have when you're single... this is the epitome of alone time.

don't get me wrong, i miss burton... i always do when he's gone... even when he's just gone for school. but there's nothing wrong with enjoying your own company. and your ice-cream.


Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Nephic said...

And the funny thing is that I even know who Bwitty is. It's a between hunting trip day for me, that means that I'm technically working. The Blog, and of course seeing Bwitty in the reponse just made me laugh. Six years gone. I still love all you "Jill's House" punks.

October 23, 2006 11:24 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I was thinking how cool this whole blogging idea is, and how neat it is to be able to read my daughter's "diary" of sorts... and even respond to it... but then it dawned on me that this was a very public medium and that all kinds of people who know me, and all kinds of people who don't know me, but who may be in a position of influence since they know my daughter, might read my comments and then know where Janaya gets all her talent from... and I might get discovered and become respected, and famous, and wealthy...

So I thought, "I'd better be careful what I say -- my future might depend on this"...

So after much deliberation, all I can say is: Janaya, you are a dork, and I think it's genetic!

October 23, 2006 9:21 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home