“Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.” - Unknown

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

total intimidation

so... i've been asked to sub for a primary class this sunday. they're 10. and for some reason, this fact kind of terrifies me. 10?! when was the last time i even spoke to a 10 year old? what do 10 year olds look like? hahaha. no seriously. how is it possible that i really have this huge social gap in my life? give me a bunch of toddlers. great. give me a bunch of old ladies. i can teach them... probably even make them laugh a bit. give me anyone over the age of 19 or under the age of 4, and i'm in my element. but 10? what do 10 year olds like? i think i still played with barbie's at 10... i'm pretty sure i was at the hitting boys because i liked them phase. what's funny to a 10 year old? oh! it just struck me that they're in 5th grade. i've seen "are you smarter than a 5th grader"... but are 10 year olds really like that? i suddenly just had flashbacks of grade 5... 10 year olds are mean. are they still mean? or was that just an 80s thing?

ok... help me. somebody has to know something about 10 year olds. do they bite? :)

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

It depends how many girls and how many boys... just bring some games and some treats for an incentive... and good luck!!!

August 27, 2008 12:21 PM

 
Blogger Cormorant said...

Ha ha. I'm in the Primary presidency, and they intimidated me at first as well. Just remember how bad 5th graders want to be 6th graders (and move on to YM/YW). They aren't COOL, but they definitely WANT to be. They're on the verge of "coolness." So there's nothing to be intimidated about...right?

August 27, 2008 4:27 PM

 
Blogger Skyler said...

I am a rotating sub in the primary, so I just go from class to class, week to week. And let me tell you . . . YOU SHOULD BE TERRIFIED. Don't you remember how you acted for substitute teachers? It's a field day. Take my advice (which I have yet to ever follow myself) and just watch a movie.

August 27, 2008 10:39 PM

 
Blogger The Richardsons said...

Yeah, 10 year olds are a hop a skip and a jump from the awkward jr high phase and that means a whole lot of weird behavior going on. I always keep a list of off-the wall BOM trivia and do a game (boys against girls if the class is big enough) and treats. Good Luck!

August 29, 2008 1:50 AM

 
Blogger britentj said...

HAHA I teach them every week in my primary class, they don't bite, but they sure are smart, always asking me questions that I have no idea what the answers are!! VERY INTIMIDATING! Good luck

September 01, 2008 1:19 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home