“Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.” - Unknown

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

10 days of thanksgiving countdown - day 3

there was a time, when i was about 13, that i didn't want to be seen in public with these two people (you're pretty much at your lamest, at 13). there was a time, when i was in college, that i called these two people almost every night and cried because i was so homesick. and now, these two people are my friends. i don't know what most people's relationships are like with their parents, but my parents have always walked the fine line between being a parent and being a friend pretty well. my recollections of life in the sheppard home consist of a lot of laughing, a lot of debates around the kitchen table, a lot of sleep-overs and parties and playing, a lot of good food and good company, lots of advice and counsel and direction. sure we fought and cried and stomped our feet and slammed some doors and maybe there was the occasional dangling of spit over someone's face... but there was just as much thanking and forgiving and praying and sharing and hugging and kissing (yuck... haha).

when i stop and think... REALLY think about my life, i can't help but be so grateful for my parents. for their love and support and encouragement... for their dedication to our family and to our church and to the community and to each other. anyone who knows my parents (no matter what age) has to make sure to tell me how much they love my parents. how fun they are and what wonderful people they are. it's usually followed by some form of the word "crazy"... but who doesn't need a little crazy in their lives?! :)

so today... i'm grateful for my mom and dad. leigh and winona. the people who taught me how to get things done and make it happen and do what's right and stand for what you believe and tell it like it is and love people and enjoy life and spell it correctly. thank you. i love you both! (and this cute picture).

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Esther J. Clarke said...

hands down on this one...your parents are great!

November 22, 2007 12:49 AM

 
Blogger Leigh said...

I am so glad we taught you to speak!.. and that you have learned to write with such flare! It is truly an emotional experience to read such a tribute from the second most important and influential girl in my life...

So, if I too might take a moment (even though our Thanksgiving was over a month ago), I'd like to try to summon a rare depth of sentiment and offer my gratitude for the daughter who made it all worth it!

PS. I'll try not to get too sappy... and please forgive me, I actually use capital letters where appropriate... not as "cool" as all lowercase, but I am over 50... its kind of important to me... right up there with poetry that rhymes!

There was a time when she was about 13 that Janaya didn't want to be seen with us in public... but we understood... we'd been 13 once too!

In college she'd call us almost every night.. and I have the phone bills to prove it! If only we'd had VoIP in those days!

I marvel at the amazing woman she has become inspite of the fact that we were learning to become parents on the job, and Janaya was our lab rat. Thank you for forgiving us for our shortcomings. You always seemed to be the voice of reason when discord hit. (although I don't remember any spit!)

We loved the "traffic" you brought to our home. Lots of parties, and sleep-overs, and guys, and missionaries, and friends, and pets, and laughter, and love.

I love my kids! We were truly blessed with two of the finest. It is unbelievable how quickly they grew and now we (Winona and I) are busily adjusting to a life with our kids living a thousand miles away. When I wake up in the morning, I can't remember where I put my glasses the night before (good thing my teeth are real)...but I CAN recall with great clarity almost every moment of the day you were born (I've blocked out the gross parts!) and it seems such a moment ago.

I find it interesting that now that we DO have VoIP and can call each other for FREE!! and talk as long as we want, we do most of our communicating through MSN, and email, and Facebook and blogs!! But thank goodness for all of those. They all help to make those 1000 miles seem so much closer! Happy Thanksgiving, Janaya (and Burton too!... one day I'll forgive you for stealing my daughter!)

November 23, 2007 1:09 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home