“Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.” - Unknown

Wednesday, July 08, 2009

yep, you're in traffic.

news flash heard on NPR this morning: traffic congestion in los angeles has been gradually improving over the last two years; unlike washington d.c., where traffic congestion has actually been getting worse.

awesome.

every morning i get up, get ready for work (today's get-up: flipflops, capri's and a care-bear t-shirt... of course), get in my car and wonder "so... let's see how long it's going to take me to get to work this morning." it can vary from 23 minutes to 90+ minutes. so depending on how things go and when i leave, i could be an hour early or an hour late. it's brilliant. i love it. :P not to mention the anomaly of leaving at 8:40 and arriving at work at 9:10, and so then leaving at 8:15 and STILL arriving at work at 9:10. what the... !? how?

and to top it off, NPR's traffic report = so lame, i want to punch my stereo. every morning. Art Andrews, the traffic guy, makes me crazy. this might as well be his traffic report:

"do you see cars in front of you? then you're in traffic. no cars in front of you? you're going to be just fine."

thanks Art. so helpful.

maybe it's just me, but it's not even the traffic that makes me crazy. it's the not knowing what's causing the traffic that drives me bonkers. come on Art! just tell me WHY?! at least tell me there was an accident so when i arrive to my meeting 20 minutes late i can say "well, there was an accident on 395 at Seminary Rd and so traffic was murder! sorry, i'm late." but no, instead i'm left standing at the doorway 20 minutes late to a meeting with nothing to say but "sorry i'm late... there was... more people on the freeway today..."

Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger unclespeedo said...

carpool!

July 08, 2009 8:08 PM

 
Blogger The Richardsons said...

Janaya, I miss you! Thanks for making me laugh, I can always count on you for a much-needed chuckle. :)

July 13, 2009 1:31 AM

 
Blogger jenhatch said...

or... "sorry, there were cars in front of me!"

What a genius!

July 16, 2009 11:02 PM

 
Blogger Higa said...

All it takes is one person (you decide who) that drives 10 under the speed limit. Or one person who for some unknown reason is incapable of pushing a stalled vehicle to the side of the road rather than leaving it in the lane. I have decided that Reggea music is helpful.

July 20, 2009 11:43 AM

 
Blogger Melinda Jones said...

As always, you make me laugh and miss the good old days of when we lived in the same city. Tell B hello for us.

July 29, 2009 5:06 PM

 
Blogger Wonderland Girl said...

Hey I think you need to update your blog. Your facebook is very vague... ?
You okay?

August 04, 2009 4:37 PM

 
Blogger britentj said...

Hey Girl, Love reading your blog, you always make me laugh!!!! can you email me your brother's blog addrewss,, I lost it, after having to reformat my computer! thanks!!!

August 04, 2009 10:58 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh what a great find I have found! Jay told me I'd enjoy your blog, and enjoy I have - so great to see how you're doing, and greater still to be so entertained:)

August 16, 2009 11:14 PM

 
Blogger rachel demartin said...

j--where are you? i didn't hear much about you our last therapy session:) call me next commute, i want to hear about you. hope things are going well.

September 07, 2009 1:26 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well stated Janaya! Art Andrews and his NPR traffic report is incredibly annoying and of virtually no value. Yes, we know everything is slow, how about telling us what is ‘fast’. That way we might only have to suffer through one Art Andrews report a month.

I am also irritated at the Art Andrews self promotion. Art, you were just introduced 30 seconds ago by the NPR host, you don’t have to follow up for ‘valuable’ report with “this is Art Andrews”; I think we all know who you are.

Finally, there is the NPR host’s thanking of Art Andrews for his ‘valuable’ insight after every segment. I realize that the host is just being polite, but really, did Art do anything that is worth ‘thanking’? It’s like waiting for a train on an outside metro platform in the middle of winter and telling the individual next to you, “It’s cold” every 2 minutes. Do you think that individual would say, “thanks for that report”?

I share in your frustration, every time Art Andrews comes on the air I want to punch the radio to make him go away!

September 09, 2009 6:15 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

art andrews should retire or start drinking tons more coffee. he makes me turn the station. i mean jeSUS.

December 30, 2009 6:20 PM

 
Blogger Daniel said...

Gosh I abhor Art Andrews, too! Each time he announces traffic he only lists 3-4 incidents, wasting time talking about the causes of accidents, which lanes are blocked, and expecting how fast one is going to drive. Oh, and not to mention talking in a slow, "smooth," and "charming" manner.

I'd so prefer Dave Solomon or Russ O'Brien over this dimwit.

February 04, 2010 8:14 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home