“Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.” - Unknown

Tuesday, October 07, 2008

can you hear me now?

working from home has its advantages... yes. i've discussed many of these advantages in past blog posts. a 10-step commute. moderately flexible hours. working in bed, if i so choose. but it also has its disadvantages. socializing is limited to IM and email. no coworker lunches. 4-hour conference calls. FOUR-HOUR conference calls! and yard workers. yes, yard workers. each and every tuesday morning, it begins. i hear the faint roar of a lawn mower in the distance, and i remember... tuesday. curse tuesday. curse the yard workers who seem to take extra special care of the small patch of grass just outside my office/guest bedroom window. on tuesdays, i can generally be found on the floor in the hallway (the furthest i can get away from the lawn mower, aside from sitting on the toilet), cordless phone hung between my chin and my shoulder, laptop propped on my legs stuck straightout in front of me, trying to converse with clients and coworkers who i'm praying can't hear the obnoxious weed-wacker that might as well be cutting the carpet in my livingroom. "i'm sorry, can you say that again? i didn't hear you... oh no, i know it sounds like a chainsaw is hacking away at my phone, but it's just a riding lawn mower." ah yes, working from home. the glamor of it all.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Joey and Lauren Toone said...

Wow, sounds rough. I actually know someone who is extremely resourceful and good at making a difficult situation better. His name is Survivorma. . . . .oh wait nevermind, you wouldn't be interested.

October 08, 2008 10:23 PM

 
Blogger janaya said...

hahaha. if i was looking for a way to make a trap of some sort that's supposed to catch the yard workers and hang them up by their ankles, but ends up... well, not working. then survivorman would definitely be my guy.

October 08, 2008 10:27 PM

 
Blogger Veeda said...

I work from home too, and one of my disadvantages is that I get waaaay too caught up letting my mind wander. like, wander across blogs and such. :)

October 09, 2008 12:28 PM

 
Blogger janaya said...

i have no idea what you're talking about... ;)

October 09, 2008 12:32 PM

 
Blogger Cormorant said...

So this makes me totally laugh, like most of your posts! I miss you so much lately. Like you said, Halloween just isn't the same without you! We weren't even able to go to S&K's party this year since we had another one the same night. When are you visiting next? Geeze!

October 26, 2008 9:46 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hEY WherE ArE yOu? Loved this post. Hope everything is great!

October 31, 2008 3:34 PM

 
Blogger Greg and Abbey said...

Hi Janaya,
How are ya!? I know EXACTLY what you're talking about! Sometimes I schedule my massage clients on Friday morning. I don't usually, but sometimes. And while I'm massaging, all of a sudden I hear a faint lawn mower and before I know it, they are right outside my window! I appolagize at least two times...pachabel in piano, songbirds, fountain, and Reeeeeeeee! ahaahahha It's horrible!

November 06, 2008 1:22 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home