“Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.” - Unknown

Monday, September 22, 2008

i passed out today, how 'bout you?

literally... if i blogged everyday, this is what every entry would say: "worked today. didn't want to make dinner. still not pregnant." not that i'm saying that so you'll feel sorry for me that we're still not pregnant... i'd actually prefer sympathy for the fact that i never want to make dinner anymore... but i'm just saying, these are the three most consuming thoughts in my day pretty much everyday. except saturday, when i have to think about the food i have to buy for the dinners i don't want to make. ANYway, THIS is not the point of my blog post. i'm just explaining why i hardly ever blog anymore. and until i don't work anymore and can do fun things all day, or make some really awesome dinner i must share with the world... or have some really exciting news about the fruit of our loins... i have to wait for weird or interesting things to happen to me to feel excited about writing a new blog post. and lucky for all of you who have been sitting on the edge of your seat waiting for me to post again (... silence...) i went to the dentist today and passed out.

now, i normally don't make a habit of passing out in general, much less at the dentist... but today me and the anesthetic decided not to be friends. i went in 30 minutes early to get numbed up... another long story about how i have this weird overly high tolerance to anesthetic and so they have to give me lots of it (quote my oral surgeon: "i gave you enough anesthetic for a 250 lbs man!") and let it sink in for a long time. the dentist (GREAT dentist, by the way) came in and stuck the needle in my jaw... moved the needle around (i'm sure there's a reason they do this... but i really can't imagine pretty much anything more nauseating than sticking a needle anywhere and moving it around), and then he left to let me soak in the numbness. i had come prepared from the waiting room with a "people" magazine featuring britney's mom (of course), so i returned to my spot on the page and started to read, only to soon realize i felt incredibly nauseous... and the thought occurred to me, "i think i'm going to pass out". i've really only passed out a couple of times before... the most notable, being in the shower... and i hit my head on the faucet on the way down. so i haven't really chosen the most convenient places to pass out, but i knew the feeling. and so i put the magazine down, and i started to close my eyes, and the next thing i knew i was coming to, with my head hanging over the side of the dentist chair. :)

the dentist and his assistant walked in just as i was coming to and clearly realized there was a problem. i might not have much color in my face normally... but they were pretty concerned with my lack of untanned-pasty-hue. and i was pretty concerned with the fact that i had instantaneously sweat through my clothes. anyway, turns out that anesthesia in your blood stream = your heart starts to race, which can then = your body goes into emergency shut down mode. so with a cool cloth and the assistant holding my hand and glancing at the britney article on my lap, i regained my composure. and half-smiled. and then endured an hour or so of tooth drilling, temporary-crown fitting, rinsing and spitting. curse my crappy provo dentist and his crappy cracked filling.

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger whitney said...

sweet. i don't think i've ever passed out before. doesn't sound like fun, though. good thing you found a better dentist, though. maybe you won't have to visit him as much since he probably won't give you crappy fillings.

September 22, 2008 9:00 PM

 
Blogger Mrs. Dub said...

who cares if you don't want to make dinner, you're a great storyteller. and don't worry, i don't make it either.

September 22, 2008 9:08 PM

 
Blogger Kate said...

so sorry... my day was very boring- oh- my son did call 911 in an attempt to get my attention... exciting !

September 22, 2008 11:23 PM

 
Blogger Greg and Abbey said...

Oh my goodness! I can't believe that happened!! You have me laughing out loud! Moving the needle around, I think, was a big mistake. I've NEVER had that happen! Yikes! Oh! I know that feeling of nausea and then the cold sweat! I passed out a few years ago, and woke up with my head smooshed inbetween in bed and night stand! hahaah!
Abbs

September 23, 2008 12:56 AM

 
Blogger Morgan said...

that is awesome... or at least an awesome story! i've never passed out either. um, so did someone find you naked in the shower when you passed out that time before?? that is like my worst fear. i hate the dentist too... HATE hAtE HATE!!!!

September 23, 2008 8:32 AM

 
Blogger janaya said...

morgan: the passing out in the shower story is equally as entertaining actually. i don't remember the exact reason this happened, but i think it had been fast sunday and then i didn't really eat much when i finally stopped fasting, and then i ended up not getting much sleep that night, and all things combined i was pretty weak in the shower the next morning. the interesting thing is that i passed out while i was washing my face, so i missed that moment where you realize you're passing out because my eyes were already closed (and covered in soap). so i think i only passed out for a second, but when i passed out, i must have tried to grab for something, cause i ended up in the tub with all the shampoo bottles (and i lived with three other girls at the time). the scariest part was when i realized that i knocked my lights out... i couldn't see a thing, so i frantically grabbed the side of the tub and looked up in the direction of the light on the ceiling, and waited for a few seconds until slowly my vision returned. a little shocked and still soaking wet, i grabbed my bathrobe and threw it on me and walked to my bedroom that i shared with my best friend. she looked at my face and said "you're bleeding!". on the way down, i had cracked my head on the faucet and split my eyebrow open. which of course, i just dabbed with a kleenex, got myself dressed and drove to work. :) it was a couple hours later when i almost passed out again while looking at the cut in the mirror and seeing my eyebrow bone, that i had my coworker drive me to the emergency room, where they put 7 stitches in my eyebrow. which i wimpered through the whole time, cause i'm a wuss.

anyway, so no... they didn't find me naked. phew.

September 23, 2008 8:48 AM

 
Blogger Jackie said...

I agree--you are a great storyteller! So great, in fact, that I now have another reason to fear going to the dentist. Eesh.

So did you find out anything good about Britney's mom??

September 23, 2008 9:26 AM

 
Blogger Kaylyn said...

I really love reading your blog! I am with you on having only boring things to blog about unless we go somewhere or something crazy happens. I also loved the shower story in your comment, I can't believe you went to work! I probably would have just cried :)

September 23, 2008 11:30 AM

 
Blogger emilie s. d. p. said...

I'm glad you didn't have anything to bonk your head on this time...the shower story is hilarious!
I usually love the dentist, but this story makes me not so excited.

September 23, 2008 1:37 PM

 
Blogger Veeda said...

my mouth hurts after reading this!

September 26, 2008 12:12 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't make dinner? It's over rated. I don't grocery shop. Which makes making dinner really hard. We eat but sometimes I wonder what.

I have a fear of numbness so usually my dentist does my work with out any anesthetic. Of course, I have only had a couple of little fillings done and my dentist was REALLY nervous the whole time. But this isn't about me...I'm so sorry that you passed out. That must have felt horrible. Take good care of yourself and floss floss floss. And no more passing out.

And one more thing...I thought of you on Monday (last week) and meant to wish you a happy Thanksgiving:)! Happy belated Thanksgiving. I had a turkey in your honor! (of course I didn't make it because I don't do dinner much but my Canadian friend did and I brought pumpkin pie, and green beans)...anyways I really did think of you and hoped you were having a happy day.

October 21, 2008 12:30 AM

 
Blogger Leigh said...

Wow, this happened two years ago to the day and I've never heard it before! I should check out your blog more frequently to keep up on the family news.

So...

a few "better late than never" comments:

1. I've found the secret to enjoying cooking is to make a hobby of it. So, for instance, I spend more time reading allrecipes.com than I do reading my own daughter's blog. (obviously)

2. I wish I could pass out at the dentist! and wake up when he's all done. I usually pass out when I get the bill!

3. I am glad someone else asked about the naked in the shower thing because I have to admit, I was wondering myself... but never would have had the nerve to ask.

4. I also wonder about our English major daughter who just ignores the rules for using uppercase. Where did we go wrong? :) It has some artistic merit, but it's up there with poems that don't rhyme. One of these days I am going to succumb to my artistic yearnings and write a whole blog entry without spaces or punctuation. It will confound future generations, but it will provide countless hours of deliberation about whether I was really swearing or if it was just an unfortunate combination of letters in an otherwise perfectly innocent phrase.

5. Glad you are OK... now that two years has come and gone. :)

Love Dad

September 22, 2010 1:28 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home