“Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.” - Unknown

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

watch the "x"... it'll getcha

so i know i haven't blogged in two months, and THIS is what i'm choosing to come back to the table with... but i need to know if i'm the only one out there who does this at least 3 times a day, without fail.

so, there are two widely accepted ways to notify a person you're chatting online with that you'll be gone for a quick moment:

brb = be right back

just a sec = obvious

i tend to lean to the "just a sec" option because not EVERYone using instant messenger knows what "brb" means, and so if you use that one you risk not being able to dash away from your computer because "brb" may be quickly followed by "what's brb?" which requires an answer, or you're really just ditching them without an explanation. ANYway...

so, imagine, you're instant messaging with someone... perhaps it's your spouse, perhaps it's a long time friend, perhaps it's a coworker, maybe even your boss... possibly even your father... and you're mid-sentence and something comes up that you need to attend to for "just a sec"... but curse the creator of the keyboard who conveniently decided that the "c" and the "x" should be positioned next to each other, and under your palm where you can't really see and so you have to make a really precise estimate of location or you end up with "just gimme a sex". and while that may be funny to your spouse who happily replies, "i'll give you all the sex you want"... it's hard to imagine an appropriate response from your coworker or your boss... or your father.

literally, my friends... this ALMOST happens three times a day, at least. (most of the time i catch it... but holy awkward when i don't).

and then of course there's my failed attempts to type "... about it", but the "t" miraculously jumps to the "it" and we have another awkward IM moment on our hands. i'll let you put that one together yourself... i don't even want to know the search terms that will get people to this blog post as it is.

Labels:

17 Comments:

Blogger Jackie said...

A dangerous mistake!

I once found myself in a situation where I meant to say, "The Elders have been have a lot of success lately." But guess which word I accidentally said instead of success?? Awkward city..

February 18, 2009 11:26 AM

 
Blogger Morgan said...

that is awesome. i am new to the IM world, so i don't have any cool stories yet. someday...

February 18, 2009 3:03 PM

 
Blogger Higa said...

I think you IM too much. I can't say I have had that problem. I'm pretty precise in my typing... lol. I can only imagine the awkwardness of typing that to your dad. That made me laugh outloud.

February 18, 2009 4:13 PM

 
Blogger janaya said...

well, to clarify... i've caught the typing error before pressing "enter" when IMing with my dad. so that awkward moment has yet to occur. :) glad it got a laugh though.

February 18, 2009 4:35 PM

 
Blogger Cormorant said...

Ha ha. Gladly I haven't made that mistake...yet. I'm sure just reading this post will conveniently suggest it to my fingers when I'm typing unawares! :)

February 18, 2009 8:25 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I once sent my boss a text message that said "I'll sex you in a minute"

Uhhhhhh, yeah. I feel your pain. Hahah.

February 19, 2009 12:47 AM

 
Blogger Jared and Jessica said...

Haha! That is funny! I hope you guys are doing well!

February 19, 2009 2:36 PM

 
Blogger Ashley @ {Let Go, Laughing} said...

I have done both of these things so often! Good to know I'm not the only one!

February 19, 2009 7:58 PM

 
Blogger Kaylyn said...

I do stuff like that all the time! Along those lines, my sister-in-law wrote in the ward bulletin about a new family in the ward and accidentally called the mom "busty" instead of "busy"...oops...

February 19, 2009 8:06 PM

 
Blogger britentj said...

hahaha I love reading your blog, you always, well mostly always make me giggle! you are a riot! and yes I have made the same mistakes with just a sec, to, of all people, my husband's boss, who knows I think he is hot! *blush*

February 20, 2009 6:13 AM

 
Blogger joshandemily said...

We got a kick out of this post. We're excited to see you guys!

February 24, 2009 9:49 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahahahahhahahaha!!!!!

February 26, 2009 12:34 AM

 
Blogger McKell&Janeene said...

That is so funny! How are you guys doing?

February 26, 2009 4:51 PM

 
Blogger Melinda Jones said...

Janaya, you never cease to make me laugh. Love the post.

March 01, 2009 11:05 PM

 
Blogger erin said...

hahahah. yes I have done that. better stick to the "brb" from now on. I have only done the "it" one. holy awkward!

March 18, 2009 11:23 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

this is rachel. where are you friend? i love your blogs.

May 05, 2009 11:13 PM

 
Blogger Greg and Abbey said...

Janaya,
You're funny. You know, I actually don't IM anymore. I used to, but I don't anymore. Wait, actually, Greg's family is on hotmail sometimes and I chat with the. I didn't even know those terms, but I can totally see how you could make those typing errors. Funny. Are you loving your new home? I bet it's decorated to nicely and that it's immaculately clean, (As usual). :) When are y'all coming to Utah to visit? Probably not this summer since there's no Powell trip :( Love you and BA so much and miss you guys!

May 13, 2009 1:19 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home