“Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.” - Unknown

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

RULDS2?

it was the summer of 1995 and my girlfriends and i were on our way to a flirt-filled week in rexburg, idaho at EFY (mormons love their acronyms... and this one stands for especially for youth). and since we were 16 and our parents were totally insane, the four of us DROVE to rexburg from british columbia in a sweet old VW van... alone. as in, by ourselves. SIXTEEN. anyway, not the point of this post. the point of this post is my earliest recollection of what has been dubbed the "mormon-radar"...

growing up on vancouver island, there was no need for the mormon-radar. if there was a mormon on the island, i knew them. my parents had probably grown up with their parents, we attended all the same activities... there was no such thing as "are you mormon?" for me in my early years, because i already knew the answer. so on this little roadtrip, for some reason, something on someone's car triggered the chain reaction in our car "hey! do you think they're mormon? ... i think they're mormon ... hey, how do we find out if they're mormon?" now, these guys in the car were probably from utah and had no clue why we would even care if they were mormon, since everyone they knew was mormon... but for us, it was like spotting a moose in the forest (which i happen to think is pretty cool... but may be a weird comparison to some i suppose. haha). so, we determined that since we were driving down the freeway at 80 miles an hour, our best bet was to make a sign. yes, folks. a sign. so we took a pen and an 8.5" x 11" piece of paper and wrote "Are you LDS?" on it. and we got a positive response. and we thought that was just so great. haha.

so that's my first experience, with many more to come. moving to rexburg for college was like being on mormon-caffeine (is that allowed?)... it was mormons on overload. it was great. everyone was mormon. it was like one big EFY for two whole years. then i moved on to utah... and i've been here for *gulp*... EIGHT years. so needless to say, i have become desensitized to the excitement of being surrounded by mormons -- though, i'm not complaining... i happen to like mormons. :) so, it wasn't until i started to go outside of utah again that i began to realize i had developed a keen sense for detecting mormons.

case in point... i am standing in the middle of the craziness that is the sistine chapel in rome, where supposedly everyone was supposed to be quiet... except the guy with the bull-horn who kept yelling "BE QUIET. NO PICTURES PLEASE. BE QUIET!" again... not the point of this post. so, i spot a woman bending down next to a little girl, pointing to the center of the ceiling, and i overhear her say, "see... there's Adam and Heavenly Father..." BINGO! i know other people say Heavenly Father... but THAT my friends, is what we call a signal. so i poke burton and say "she's mormon", but i don't say anything. about 30 seconds later, i'm standing behind another woman who has a peculiar under-garment line... much akin to my own... and i poke her in the shoulder. "are you mormon?" and she says "YES! how did you know?" and i explained "well, i could see the lines... etc etc" and it turns out she was with the other woman (i KNEW it) and we all chatted for about 10 minutes and they told us we should move to st. louis and move in to their ward... and we were instant best friends. so great. i love mormons.

then there was the mormon encounter at the staten island ferry, which i mentioned in a
previous post. and then there was the guy on the metro in DC, on our way home from NY, who was clearly mormon. one word: mesh.

in addition to the mormon-radar, we mormons also have a game called "do you know?" and it is also incredibly fascinating. put two mormons who are total strangers in a room and give them about 20 minutes, and they will walk out with a list of people they know in common. mission companions. college roommates. old boy/girlfriends. they've probably been to the same parties and maybe even dated the same people. i promise you! and THEN give a mormon a blog and they'll quickly discover more connections than you can count.

so... if you're in the mood to sharpen your mormon-radar, here are my top 10 tell-tale signs:

1. CTR rings (more acronyms... CTR stands for choose the right, of course!)
2. married, children, long shorts, sleeves... this combination is a dead give-away
3. wearing more than one layer of clothing in 105 degree weather
4. bright eyes and a perky smile
5. although a rare breed these days... a man still sporting a part in his hair

6. you overhear them ask "do you have caffeine-free diet coke?"
7. virgin cocktails (unless they're pregnant... which could also be a sign)
8. fry-sauce... which is basically just people from utah, but it narrows it down
9. an uncanny need to turn everything in to an acronym
10. horns... ;) JUST kidding... though, i've heard rumors...

happy hunting!

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger go boo boo said...

great post and so true. love the morm-dar philosophy.

August 15, 2007 9:36 PM

 
Blogger Wonderland Girl said...

So are you back in Utah now? In Happy Valley surrounded by mormon-people? The question there is, Are they active? And how do you find that out? :)

August 16, 2007 12:10 PM

 
Blogger janaya said...

i'm officially a ut-ard again. (that's funnier spoken than written). :) and you're right, mormon-detecting in utah is a whole different ball-game. i have a couple friends who i thought FOR SURE were mormon who weren't... and then friends who are mormon that i never would have guessed. my radar gets fuzzy in utah. :) too much interference or something.

August 16, 2007 12:14 PM

 
Blogger Wonderland Girl said...

When I first moved back to Vernal from Provo, there was a girl moving right next door to me and I was telling her all about how great our ward was; never even gave it a thought!! Then I saw her drive away with one of those fish on the back of her car. Duh, I'm an idiot. She's probably used to it, though.

August 17, 2007 12:04 PM

 
Blogger heather said...

I hate to admit it, but I have definitely loved playing the mormon-radar game (actually played it with myself while grocery shopping just yesterday!), in addition to the "do-you-know" game ... sad, but true. It's honestly quite addicting! Once you feel like you become good at these so called 'games,' you have to keep playing to win! luckily, with mormons, you win frequently enough to feed the addiction.

August 17, 2007 5:04 PM

 
Blogger Esther J. Clarke said...

It is so hilarious because it is so true...I'm the first one asking the "do you know?" questions...because there is always someone... and even though you may not see that person again in your whole life, you feel close to them because you have friends in common. I love the feeling! So I always ask...is that too sad?

August 21, 2007 1:00 PM

 
Blogger Kate said...

It is very true! Since living in Utah (and being a born and raised Californian) it is fun to not give any hints about being a mormon and if you get close enough to people they will start voicing their negative opinions about mormons.. and then I let them know I am mormon and they are floored and kind of retract... You know what I mean?

August 22, 2007 11:18 AM

 
Blogger Bethany said...

Janaya, I love your style. It is simply hilarious! And, I also am addicted to :), but not as much the... I used to be, but I weaned myself.

Anyway, I wanted to add my story to the archive: On Saturday Michael and I went to explore the Hoh Temperate Rain Forest on the Olympic Peninsula--gorgeous. While we were hiking around a short trail we bumped into a large family. Parents with several kids, a spouse or two and one grand-baby. As it turns out, the daughter asked us if we were Mormon because she saw Michael's BYU hat. We ended up chatting the whole hike together on and off. The dad told us "The young lady in front of you was the first Mormon I ever met. She was in my communication class my senior year of college." It was charming.

They were from Pennsylvania. The game is on, alive and well here in the Pacific Northwest.

P.S. Michael and I also drove to LaPush for our very first visit to the Pacific Ocean. It was chilly and windy, and Nathanael was exhausted, but Michael danced in the waves with his pant rolled up and I laughed and took pictures (and waded a bit too). We love the ocean!

August 22, 2007 4:31 PM

 
Blogger Wonderland Girl said...

Janaya,
I finally added your link to my blog. I am so rude for not adding you before, my favorite blogger-i've-never-met-friend!

August 24, 2007 4:38 PM

 
Blogger Danielle said...

LOL this post is too funny - my name is danielle and i found your blog through whitney...

i have total mormon radar too and this post just cracked me up- i have to share with you my latest mormon radar experiance LOL (i say LOL way too much)

anyways- Dh and I were in Philly for a convention to honor fallen corectional officers in the nation.. while at the confrence my husband was honored for surving an assault by 14 inmates... and after the ceremony to honor him and about 20 others from across the nation we had a "talk it out" time for the spouses of the assaulted officers ( ok yeah long background on that huh) so we walk in and all sit down and start to tell our individual stories... i see this girl stand up and she is totally in modest clothing, that is fashionable from a few years back with total mormon hair... i knew right away... then she starts talking and says she is from idaho... yep by now i am 80% possitive she is mormon.. so i start scanning her for a ctr ring or a YW medalion or something to get my proof... she starts getting emotional when she talks... and i am like oh gosh she is mormon we all cry at things like this ( ie testimony meetings) so she keeps talking and wham i got my proof she says "heavenly father" and I knew LOL so after the meeting i walked up to her and said " are you LDS?" and she laughed and said yes ... and she said to me " I was sitting behind you at the funeral service yesterday watching you bawling... and I knew that you were LDS too"
we were like best friends for the rest of the confrence...

just thought i would share my mormon radar story with you - love your blog-

August 27, 2007 2:06 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home