“Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.” - Unknown

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

i'm a *gulp* ... suburbanite

ok... i'll admit it. i'm a small city kinda girl. i have dreams of being a big city girl... the kind that gets all dressed up pretty, high-heels on, perfect hair... bounces out of her big city loft with her gorgeous purse and confidently makes her way to the metro, where she always finds an open seat and knows exactly what stop to get off and finds her way to a little cafe, where she sips her carmel apple cider from starbucks (mmm... thanks for the intro brit) all by herself with not a care in the world but her and her wall street journal.

but... this is not me.

if i actually happen to leave my apartment, i first start by putting my make-up on. 'cause if i'm not going out, what's the point? so, let's assume i'm all make-upped and dressed and ready to go -- far from dressed pretty with high-heels and perfect hair... usually more like comfy jeans, a sweet t-shirt i bought in the kids section, hair straightened but slightly frizzing from the humidity, and of course... flip flops. i walk out my door, fight with the elevators to get to my car, plug in the GPS navigation system, frantically shift my eyes back and forth between the road and the GPS display totally paranoid that i'm going to miss the next exit and hear the snotty computerized navigator say "recalculating". by the time i arrive to my destination (a 5 mile trip when driving 5 miles an hour means that it's going to take... an hour!), my hair is sticking to my forehead, the make-up is no longer fresh, we're not even going to talk about the combination of bra and other "things" going on under my clothes that have become suctioned to my body, and i'm usually at least a little frazzled. frankly, i like my super walmart less than 10 minutes away, a park within walking distance, a tank of gas to get me over 200 miles, getting to church without my GPS, and milk that costs less than a gallon of gasoline.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Wonderland Girl said...

Thanks a lot, Janaya.

You just made me burn my kid's breakfast because I couldn't leave your blog until I finished reading. hahaha. I'm a super mom.

And I too am glad to know other people like old songs like that (I think the Simpsons would call it Woose Rock) or are willing to admit it. It's like that part in Tommy Boy where they're both like, "You can change it if you want." And then they're crying singing it. People just won't admit it!! I've been told (by my husband) that I should also be older than I am in music tastes and other things but when you add in ella fitzgerald and some of the others my age comes out to be more like 76. :)

July 12, 2007 10:19 AM

 
Blogger Kadi said...

I am so with you, Janaya! I too have a desire to be posh and big city, but it is so not me. I totally related to your story...and so scary to drive in DC. You are amazing to even attempt it! Good luck with the rest of the summer and then back to relaxing Provo...?

July 13, 2007 12:40 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home