“Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.” - Unknown

Friday, July 27, 2007

talkee talkee, no more talkee

CRAP! i'm pretty sure, after some careful self-reflection, that i've determined... i talk too much. it's always been pretty clear that i like to talk. i started to talk pretty early; i spoke in full sentences pretty early; i caught unsuspecting elderly gentlemen off-guard as a toddler with my confident statements: "ooo! i really like your car!" ... and then in school and in church... you could always count on janaya to have something to say about whatever was being discussed. being one of a handful of mormon's in my highschool, i was always the first to tackle debates from a religious perspective. being one of a million mormon's in my university, i was always the first to say "you can't use 'well, nephi said...' to win an argument!" if there's an issue on the table, i'm going to jump on it... and talk it to death.

in recent years, i've tried to show restraint. i've taken the "interpersonal communications" classes in college. i've learned that listening is an important part of discussion. i've learned that you should seek to understand before you seek to be understood. i've learned all that. i've had moderate success with all that. but i've recently realized that one of the key ingredients to my disdain for people who talk too much is that it's taking away from MY talk time. CRAP!

and i think this problem is being fueled by my blog. because now, i am actually convinced that people WANT to hear the random stuff going on in my head. it's not like i'm necessarily "bragging" or "boasting" (had to look up the official definitions of those two words, just to be sure i'm being honest with myself about that)... it's just that i'm talking... talking... talking. about myself. what i'm thinking. what i've been doing. what's new in my "really interesting" life. most of the time, what i'm saying is actually unveiling how crazy and retarded i am... so it's not even like there's some benefit to my talking too much. :) i just like talking.

i guess actually, the reality is... i like discussing. i like a good heated discussion. but sometimes, i'll be mid-discussion and realize "holy crap! am i STILL talking?! shut up!"... so it's not even that i have a love of HEARING myself talk... i just can't stop. take church, for example. i LOVE teaching in church, because there's discussion... i HATE giving talks in church, because right around the 5 or 6 minute mark, i start to get annoyed with my own voice and i'm bored with just hearing myself. BUT... whatever the situation... i talk too much. and this has got to stop.

so, i'm committing to the world wide blogosphere... i will listen more. and talk less. unless i have something really good to say... then you'll just have to deal with it. :P

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Dub said...

uh, i could have written this post.

same problem, same thoughts, same goal.

maybe together we can do it ... maybe.

July 27, 2007 2:09 PM

 
Blogger Wonderland Girl said...

I have this problem too. In fact I was thinking about it just the other day. The thing about me is I get side-tracked REALLY easily. go off on little tangents to the point I have no idea what point I started out trying to make. ughhh. :)

July 27, 2007 8:46 PM

 
Blogger Kim Thomas said...

I too have this problem.

People tell me all the time that I am too accessible......loud....and talkative.

As far as I am concerned there can't be enough mechanisms for communication. Currently mine are:

My Blog
Cell Phone
Home Phone (why do I still have this?)
Blackberry Messenger
Blackberry PIN
Text and MMS Messaging
MSN
AIM
Sametime
Google Talk
8 email addresses

really, I think it may be a problem :)

July 29, 2007 6:00 PM

 
Blogger Cormorant said...

Diddo with the talk in church/teach in church dilemma. Love the interaction. Not so much a fan of the "all me"-ism.

PS-I pretty much hate it when a couple spends 8/10 minutes of their talks, each telling their version of how they met, dated, etc. Yeah--hate it. It's church; not the Newlywed Game!

July 30, 2007 6:43 PM

 
Blogger sara said...

I talk too much when it comes to emails; I'm a superfast typer & turn out pages upon pages in no time ... but I'm learning that some people have more important things to do than sit and read novelettes by me; in fact just yesterday I got an email reply from a sister-in-law (my least favorite) that began, "I don't have time to read your whole email..." followed by a curt reply to a query in my first paragraph. Well excuuuuuse me! So I try to limit the super-wordy ones to my mom & sisters (not SIL's).

But now my comments on stranger's blogs are becoming equally long...

July 31, 2007 11:45 AM

 
Blogger janaya said...

oh i LOVE that i'm in good company! we can all get together and wait for our turn to talk! it will be great. i too have issues with too many modes of communication, too much to say on other people's blogs, too much going on in my head that i am constantly interrupting myself, too little patience for people giving the LONG version of how they met during what is supposed to be a talk about not judging others, and no tolerance for people who read the first sentence of my lengthy emails and consider that "good enough". we can all work on this together... or start a club (which sounds way more fun!)

July 31, 2007 1:39 PM

 
Blogger Veeda said...

Oh Janaya, your chatter is so refreshing. by the way, are you still in Utah?

I don't know if you heard, but Emily is expecting.

July 31, 2007 1:52 PM

 
Blogger whitney said...

haha.. i love you regardless :)

August 01, 2007 4:47 PM

 
Blogger Kate said...

You are really funny... I feel the same way sometimes. I know at times people don't ask my opinion because I will turn it into a two hour conversation...I have a hard time explaining anything simply.

August 01, 2007 7:06 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

like others, totally there with you! I recently got a wake up when someone came to my house to drop something off and left their car running... you had to be there, but as I kept talking, and talking I realized she left her car on so she could have an excuse to ditch out...this was reconfirmed when i saw her dropping something off across the street and as I was thinking (oh I will go and say hi) saw her haul &%^ outta there (before I got a chance). obviously I have issues too. it must be a blog thing.

August 02, 2007 2:09 PM

 
Blogger Kate said...

Do you mind if I put you as a link on my blog?

August 02, 2007 2:11 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home