“Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.” - Unknown

Saturday, August 25, 2007

i say too-more-oh, you say ta-mar-oh

what is it about pronunciation and word choice that gets people all riled up and defensive? it seems that it's never about enjoying our diversity or uniqueness... it's about being right or wrong. who is saying it correctly and who is saying it "funny"? and you may be saying to yourself "i don't get defensive. what do i have to get defensive about? i don't say words with a funny accent... " but i promise you, there are words you say that people would think sound odd, and the second they pointed it out to you... you'd have something to say about it.

ten years ago, i packed up my belongings and headed to idaho for college. unaware that canadians even had an accent, i found it funny that people were constantly pointing mine out. "say ABOUT ... say TOMORROW ... say SORRY ... " are these people crazy? i say these words just like them!? -- i know now that this was false. slowly but surely the american accent made its way in, and my canadian accent made its way out. and soon my canadian friends were making fun of my american accent. "how's U-taaaw? i'm Saawree!" but the crazy thing is... the americans never stopped making fun of my occasional "mispronunciation". so now, i get it from both sides.

for your enjoyment (or my inability to filter out things that aren't really that interesting), here are a few of the changes i subconsciously and consciously made over the last ten years:

so-rry is now saw-rry
too-more-oh is now ta-mar-oh
grade 12 is now 12th grade (or "my senior year")
fleg is now flay-g (though, literally my mouth was not made to say this word with an american accent)
have a shower is now take a shower
write a test is now take a test
which r-OOTe are you taking? is now which r-OUTe are you taking?
washroom is now restroom
marks are now grades

and the list goes on and on.

so... who's right? and why in the world do we care? ... who knows... but we do!

so i'm going to do a little experiment on pronunciation (mostly to settle a little marital dispute. haha.) i want you to listen to the following audio pronunications and tell me what you hear:

do you think "ultimate" is said with an UHL sound or an OHL sound?
do you think "alternator" is said with an ALL sound or an UHL sound?


and seriously... i assure you, there is no T at the end of across!

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Dub said...

UHL-timate.

ALL-terator.

and i feel unbiased to say this as Arizonans have a most decided lack of any accent, short of the American English one.

maybe we watched too much TV.

August 25, 2007 1:53 PM

 
Blogger Esther J. Clarke said...

Ok...I can't help you here...I have an accent...and a good one!!:D I don't think I'll ever get rid of it. and even though may find it cute... i hate it. there are words that are just impossible for me to pronounce like you guys...impossible!

August 27, 2007 11:32 AM

 
Blogger Wonderland Girl said...

Okay I love your topic. First of all, ditto Mrs. Dub.
And apparently my family has an accent I was never aware of until I moved out of the house. And back in. My mom says, wow, and I'm not sure how to spell it, "saur" cream. and she takes a (or has a in your case) "shaur". And one time she told me she was on the board for retard teachers. I was like, "There's retarded teachers???" She said, "Re-TIRED."
OH.

August 28, 2007 11:17 AM

 
Blogger Melanie said...

It's been 7 years since I left Winnipeg for Ogden, and the Canadian-isms (accent if you will) is as strong as it always was. Perhaps it's because I am stubborn? I had the hardest time in Utah with people saying "mail" I always thought they were saying my name because it sounded like "mel"; deal = dill, sale = sell (ie: there's a big sell on down at the mall). Borrow is another one Americans always notice.
You can take me out of Canada, but I doubt you'll ever take Canada out of me!

August 29, 2007 2:02 PM

 
Blogger whitney said...

ah, the world of words. this is so true. why DO we care?

UHL-timate.

ALL-ternator.

and that always makes me laugh when i hear people saying "across" with a t sound at the end.

August 29, 2007 2:46 PM

 
Blogger janaya said...

had another debate about it at dinner last night with the inlaws. am i crazy for thinking that ultimate is not said with an "ohl" sound?! i'm glad i have mrs. dub and whit on my side at least. and my red-neck (his word) brother in law who randomly agreed with me. yeah for nick.

August 29, 2007 2:51 PM

 
Blogger janaya said...

oh and alison... told burton the retard teacher story and we both had a good laugh about it. awesome!

August 29, 2007 2:52 PM

 
Blogger The Richardsons said...

Ok, I feel you a little bit on this one. When I moved to Utah from Cali I thought everyone pronounced things so weird. But one pronunciation discrepancy I have never overcome is with Halloween of all things! I say Hall-oween, everyone else in this state says Howl-oween. I get it all the time. Another thing people in this state get riled up about: the difference in pronouncing Laurie vs. Lori. Don't mess with those ladies they'll bite your head off!

September 06, 2007 1:47 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home