“Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.” - Unknown

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

1994... i was 15 years old

last night, i spent a couple hours reading through some of my old journals (how it's possible that i don't have time to get ready in the morning, but i find a few hours to do random stupid stuff like this, i have no idea). i picked up 1994.

what i learned about 1994 is that in 1994 i was a total BRAT! somehow, at 15 i'd convinced myself that i was totally normal... that i wasn't a brat, but that at some level i'd been jipped. all my friends were turning 16 before me. they were all dating before me, driving before me... and i was entitled to the same. if they got to jump off a bridge, so should i, dang it!!

i cannot tell you how embarrasing it was to read "my parents are so dumb" ... "my mom is being so lame" ... "i'm so annoyed with my dad. he's being totally unfair" on every other page. all i wanted to do was talk on the phone... that's it. talk on the phone. for hours. every page was filled with "i *heart* so-and-so... and so-and-so... and so-and-so". and what really surprised me is how often i said church was dumb. "went to church today... it was dumb"... occasionally i'd have these really great experiences with church and that seemed to keep me going, but so weird... no idea how i managed to stay so committed to it all amid phrases like "church is dumb".

seriously... i can't believe how "15" i was. same person... completely different brain. and vocabulary. i'm too embarrased to even admit the words i used to describe people i didn't like or was mad at. and my thought process was insane. "so-and-so said he might have to go to jail... i really hope he doesn't. that would be so lame." hahaha... ya, lame. that's the word. or how about "so-and-so hung up on me. he's such a jerk. i so hope he likes me." no shame. are all 15 year old girls this crazy!? maybe teenagers in general?

so anyway...

to my parents: i'm sorry i said you were dumb and unfair (even if it was just in my journal).
to my church leaders: i'm sorry i was such a brat.
to my teachers: i'm sorry i said i was going to the bathroom and then went to the library to talk to boys for 25 minutes, and then came back and lied and told you i just wasn't feeling well (and i'm sorry i was such a good liar that you believed me).
to my girlfriends: i'm sorry i liked all the same boys you did.
to my boyfriends: i'm sorry i liked so many of you all at once.
to my husband: i'm sorry i was so weird. thank goodness you didn't meet me half my life ago.
to my future children: hopefully this will make me more understanding when you're a crazy teenager and you think i'm dumb and all you want to do is talk on the phone.

ah... journals. and pink pens. why the crap did i use pink pens?!

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Dub said...

15 year olds are idiots, but they can't help it. i was guilty of all the same antics.

my best advice to a 15-year-old girl is: "go to sleep for a few years."

December 19, 2007 5:57 PM

 
Blogger Jackie said...

I used to use a squiggle pen in my journal. My posterity won't make it past the first page!

December 20, 2007 10:55 AM

 
Blogger Ashby said...

You are brave to even go back and read your journals. I have a hard time even reading my journals from my freshman year at BYU. I was totally dorky with a capital D!

But answer one question for me.....why is it that during the hardest and most awkward time of our lives we are thrown into high school, dating, and driving. Shouldn't that be against the law?

December 21, 2007 11:26 AM

 
Blogger Wonderland Girl said...

Janaya, where are you? Don't Canadians celebrate Christmas? ;)

December 27, 2007 4:19 PM

 
Blogger britentj said...

LOL I am glad to read that Kenz is normal! LOL you are hilarious! and May the Good Lord bless you with 6 15 yr old girls!!!!! *wink*

December 28, 2007 12:41 AM

 
Blogger whitney said...

unfortunately, i was just as "dumb" when i was 15. maybe knowing that you're not alone will help. :)

December 28, 2007 1:25 PM

 
Blogger Higa said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

January 02, 2008 1:48 PM

 
Blogger Higa said...

I'm still 15... some people are lame and sometimes life really is unfair (including people)... You were driving before me though... you'll always have that. *sigh*.

January 02, 2008 1:50 PM

 
Blogger joshandemily said...

Who wasn't a brat at 15?? You turned out great! We love you!

January 04, 2008 10:42 PM

 
Blogger XYZinn said...

Hey there, I am Karen Petersen's sister, which is where I found your blog.
Okay, I can't even read my journals from when I was 15 and 16 because they just make me so embarassed and sad that I was such a horrible teenager. I feel like I am completely eternally indebted to my parents for all of the crap they had to put up with from me!

January 07, 2008 5:37 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home