“Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.” - Unknown

Monday, April 09, 2007

short and stupid

"I don't own a cell phone or a pager. I just hang around everyone I know, all the time. If someone wants to get a hold of me, they just say 'Mitch,' and I say 'what?' and turn my head slightly." - Mitch Hedberg

ok... so i do own a cell phone (definitely not a pager... seriously... who owns a pager?), but i do love how this quote rings true of instant messaging. if i could, i would completely eliminate verbal communication from my life (haha... who am i kidding... have you ever tried to get me to stop talking... ), but when it comes to business... i think we should leave the verbal communication out of the equation. if this were my quote... here's what it would say:

"I don't like using my phone at work. I just keep a really long IM contact list of everyone I know. If someone wants to get a hold of me, they just type 'Janaya,' and I type 'what?' and move my fingers slightly." - Janaya

plus... then i avoid the inevitable of saying something really stupid before thinking it through, reading it over, fixing the grammar (haha... have you seen my IMs), rewriting it so it says it in a more diplomatic way, and then sending on my perfectly crafted virtual communication. plus, i type like the woman behind the counter booking gaylord's flight on "meet the parents", so it's almost faster than talking. sometimes if i stop and listen to my typing it makes me laugh 'cause it sounds like i'm fake-typing.

anyway... stupid post. but i'm in another one of those lulls where i feel pressure to make them long and good. so this one is short and stupid. :)

4 Comments:

Blogger unclespeedo said...

computer nerd!

April 10, 2007 12:45 AM

 
Blogger janaya said...

look who's calling the kettle black?

April 10, 2007 1:54 AM

 
Blogger whitney said...

amen, sista! i would love to never have to talk on the phone again. i guess that doesn't say much for my verbal communication skills, but i'm willing to deal with that.

April 10, 2007 5:45 PM

 
Blogger Wonderland Girl said...

I type like that too! I used to get made fun of all the time at work (Jenn!). My husband claims it keeps him up at night. I definately also type faster than I think, thus I'm still an idiot on IM. :)

April 12, 2007 3:17 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home